Simplifying Management
Google
 

Friday, November 9, 2007

Change is the name of the game



I do have a habit of connecting the dots. These dots are the events that happen around me. The figure that emerges from these dots generally gives direction to my life. I am back at the game and let’s see what the dots are this time. Last couple of days I noticed euphoria around me. People seem to be celebrating their lives and there is an urge to change. People and products seem to be reinventing themselves. Products follow what people do. Let’s start from people first. First thing I noticed is everybody seems to be changing their hairstyles. Dhoni got rid of his streaks. Maybe he was following suit to Jhon Abraham, his style icon. So did Hrithik too. I thought maybe short and clean is back in fashion. But I guess I was wrong. The ultimate icon of the young India is growing his hair and brawns. Yeah… Shahrukh and his six packs. I'm bored of it. Shahrukh always pisses me off; maybe his being out of fashion bugs me. I guess that’s what gals love him for “being retro”, nice way to say u r old fashioned. Its just not with the hunks even the ladies r changing. All the oldies like Rani, Preity, and Ash are making way for fresh faces like Deepika Pudukone, Sonam Kapoor, etc, etc.

When people change so do brands, products and some more people. So if you still guessing what's changed. Have a look around….. Hutch has become Vodafone, Rin has become Surf, UTI has become Axis, Birla plus changes to UltraTech, Saas bahu is replaced by reality TV, Wine replaces Whisky, Ambani replaces Gates, Health drinks replace Colas, Pasta replaces Paratha, Big cars replace small ones, Small cars replace motorcycles, motorcycles replace scooters, Dhoni replaces Dravid, T20 replaces ODI, Pratibha replaces APJ, HLL becomes HUL, Maruti Udyog become Maruti Suzuki, even the way people paint their houses are being changed, even the climate is changing so fast!!! That’s what Al Gore bothered about; and many many more...
Brand rejuvenation, repositioning, M&As, JVs, reinvention, its all happening and its happening too fast. At the same time its confusing lots of people. Even I am confused. I have decided to give my confusion an outlet. I'm going for a haircut!!!

"Change is inevitable" - Matrix


Happy Diwali.

No comments: